Thursday, January 15, 2009

Pencil Sketch~

It's true, you do inherit traits from your parents...like being a packrat! O.K...I admit it, I am my mother when it comes to keeping anything and everything that ever belonged to me. It's amazing what you'll find after so many years of keeping stuff put away...especially when you are moving from one house to another, you find things that you forgot you even had.
We moved to the house we are living in now back in June of 2008 and I had this tote full of baby things, dolls, toys, birthday cards, just little things that my mom had saved for me when I was growing up. The tote was about to fall apart so I went to the local Walmart to buy a new tote and started transfering things from the old tote to the new tote. Well, at the very bottom of the tote was this sketch of a little girl. As I took it out, I noticed on the lower right hand side of it signed by the artist (can't make out the name, all I can read is the first initial "P") and the year, 1973.
This was the year my family went on vacation with some friends of ours to Mexico, and one of the places we stayed at was the City of Monterrey. I don't remember this vacation very well, just what my parents have told me, but I do remember posing for this. I remember sitting on the steps of the restaurant we were eating at and a young man drawing a picture of me. I was about 6 years old when this was done.
My mom tells me that this was one of the ways the locals made money...she said my dad gave him $5 for the drawing. She never framed it, just always kept it in a drawer to give to me when I got older.
So when I married 15 years ago, she gave this to me and told me the story. I've had it in that tote that long and finally decided a few months ago to have it framed. I'm so glad I did, the paper had yellowed so much and the edges were starting to tear, but it was in pretty good condition considering it's over 35 years old. Wow! I'm getting old!!!
Just wanted to share this with you because it is special to me and so are all of you!
Have a Blessed rest of the week~
Hugs and Kisses,
Lisa

7 comments:

Mindy said...

Lisa, this is beautiful! I'm sure you are glad to have it safely framed. I'm the collector in my family, as well. It can be a blessing and a curse. I think you got a winner with this one! ~Mindy

Sandy~Romantique Inspirations~ said...

How wonderful it is for mothers keeping little mementoes from our childhood. Knowing one day it will bring back joy in our lives too, by remembering our youth.

The Vintage Husband said...

Great story and nice picture. What a wonderful mom you have to have saved that picture and then to have given it to you.It really is the little things that make life so special.

the vintage husband

ps I hope it's cool if I add a link on my blog to yours

lorhen82 said...

Lisa, that's such a lovely story. I'm glad you framed the drawing and are displaying it now. What a cute little girl you were! ~Lori

trash talk said...

How wonderful! I'm so glad you decided to frame it. It's a lovely reminder and now it can be displayed to show how much your mother cared. I don't call myself a packrat. I prefer the term "keeper of the crap"! But I love it all. Debbie

Maison Douce said...

That is so cute!! You look adorable... And I know what you mean about being a packrat, I too save everything (I just came across some Rolling Stones concert tickets from 1989... Maybe tomorrow's antiques?)
Isabel

The Rustic Victorian said...

Great story. I am glad our Mothers saved things for us,,its a very good drawing. In my family we have the packrat illness too, its so much fun!
Take care on this fine Sunday!
Marcie