Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Collections~

I have many collections, but the one that I am taking more of an interest in lately is my collection of bibles. I have recently started this collection so I don't have many but I love the ones that I do have and I wanted to share some with you.

My most favorite is this burgundy/red bible. It belonged to my mom and she gave it to me when I married. It's a Catholic bible from what she told me, my mother was a devout Catholic at the time she purchased it. I can remember this bible sitting on a small table for years in the dining room of our house. She's had this bible since the birth of my older brother and he is 54 years old. It's special to me because as a child I remember we could not go near the pretty bible full of pictures. It has so many beautiful pictures...Sorry, I know I'm bad...where are the pictures? The batteries in my camera died just as I finished taking this photo. I'll post some of the pictures later.


Another one of my favorites is this child's bible that I bought when I was in Austin at the City Wide Garage Sale. I fell in love with it the minute I saw it. It's worn and tattered around the edges. I love that it looks like it was well used.
The only markings I could find inside was a date 4-12-68 written in ink.

I wonder who this might have belonged to? Was it a little girl or boy? Did they take it to church every Sunday? Or maybe it sat in someone's home like ours did just for show.

I guess I'll never know the answers to my questions, but I can enjoy thinking about them.

The following verse was circled in pencil~

Our Father who art in heaven Hallowed be thy name. Thy kingdom come. Thy will be done in earth, as it is in heaven. Give us this day our daily bread. And forgive us our debts, as we forgive our debtors. And lead us not into tempatation, but deliver us from evil: For thine is the kingdom, and the power, and glory, for ever. A-men. Matthew 6:9-13

XOXO


~Lisa


6 comments:

Garden Antqs Vintage said...

I love old bibles and I have several religious collections in my home. You've inspired me to maybe do a post to show mine. Have a great day, T

trash talk said...

I love old family Bibles as well. It's always special to find one with dates in them or old newspaper clippings. I especially love the ones with writing in the margins. It's kind of sad as well, when I find these that no one in the family kept it. You are so lucky to have your mother's. I know I don't have to tell you to treasure it. Your post said it all. Debbie

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful old bible. Thanks for stopping by. I hope you are having a great day.

debi lynn mattingly said...

Hi sweetie!

I LOVE old bibles! I have the one my Papa taught from, and it has all his hand-written notes all over it! They are definitely treasures to behold....

xo...deb

Sweet Remembrance said...

Your old bibles are wonderful!
I adore the childs bible...what a great collection to have!
Priscilla

The Rustic Victorian said...

Wonderful Bibles!! I have never collected them, but they are pretty special. I am glad you shared them. I am really enjoying my first visit here.
Happy Valentines Day!
Marcie